Alexander Symonds undertook surveys of Olympic Dam, providing a team of surveyors rotating on a 24/7 roster for a seven month period to streamline the project for maximum efficiency.
3D Laser Scanning
Construction, Engineering & Specialist Surveys
Rebuilding the furnace at the Olympic Dam site required the largest planned maintenance shutdown of the mine in its history. The $350 million project included upgrades to the smelter, refinery, concentrator and other key infrastructure. Key project goals were zero injuries and no delays to the project timeline.
- Largest maintenance shutdown in Olympic Dam’s history.
- $350 million project to upgrade the smelter, furnace and key infrastructure.
- Expert surveyors required 24/7 over a 7-month period.
Alexander Symonds undertook surveys of Olympic Dam in line with stringent quality standards and safe systems of work. We were able to provide a team of surveyors rotating on a 24/7 roster for a seven month period to streamline the project for maximum efficiency.
- Working at heights and in confined spaces in extreme temperatures.
- Work was done in line with strict safety and quality standards.
- Accurate 3D surveys completed very quickly on a variety of environments and structures.
Being on-site 24/7 allowed the Alexander Symonds team to complete surveys on demand. The surveys required varied widely and were highly precise, using state-of-the-art technology and specialist dimensional control techniques.
- As-built surveys kept accurate documentation of all infrastructure installed during the project.
- Ad-hoc, immediate surveying services available with our team on site 24/7
- Zero injuries and zero delays to the work front as a direct result of our team over the course of the project.
A quick message to say thanks for your assistance during the shutdown. As always, your team presents themselves in a very professional manner which is then reflected in the end product, whether that be infield verification or desktop analysis and CAD deliverables. The early engagement with yourself and your team throughout the planning phase of the shutdown enable us to prepare ourselves for what is typically a forgot skill set in shutdowns, which ultimate enabled us to minimise the down time effects of misalignment of structures or equipment during the tight construction program. Thanks again and very much look forward to working with you and your team on the next project.
Do you have an upcoming large-scale survey project?
Contact our expert team at Alexander Symonds for a free quote and site appraisal.Request a Free Quote